Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Comfort Foods


















I have found the secret to time travel. It is as simple as a trip to the kitchen. You just need to ask yourself what will take you back. We all have that food (or foods) that just take us back to those good 'ole days.

Mine is my mom's goulash. What is goulash for me? Well as my own mother would describe it, "It was just a bunch of stuff from the pantry that I threw into a pan because I didn't know what else to cook." Well she made that goulash and it has been one of my favorites ever since.

How to Make Goulash

COST: $10-$15
SERVES: 6 very hungry people

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 15 oz cans of Tomato Sauce
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic
  • 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 2 small cans of mushrooms
  • 2 cans of corn
  • 1 Can of black olives
  • Oregano
  • Sage
  • Marjoram
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Salt to Taste
  • 2 boxes of Macaroni & Cheese
  • Hot Sauce (to taste)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Cook the Macaroni & Cheese and directed on the box
  2. In another pan brown the meat sautee the onions and garlic with the meat.
  3. Add the tomato sauce, corn, mushrooms, olives, and spices to the macaroni (when adding spices to the goulash keep in mind that it will have more flavor the following day).
  4. You might need to add some water to the goulash to give it a more saucy consistency.
  5. I love spicy food, but I don't like my goulash very spicy. Adding some cayenne pepper or hot sauce will give the goulash a subtle kick.
  6. Mix in the meat and let the goulash sit for 15 min. Remember the longer you let it simmer the more flavor it will have.



No comments:

Post a Comment